RE: TR3 External Oil Feeds

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 External Oil Feeds
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:16:32 -0700
> This has probably been discussed many times in the past:  Is
> there any real
> value toadding an external oil feed line to keep the rocker
> shafts bathed in
> oil better than stock?

IMO no, assuming the original passages are clear.  However, some oils seem
to drop sludge inside the rocker shaft, thereby clogging it and starving the
rockers for oil.

>  Would this have the unintended and
> unwanted effect of
> reducing oil pressure elsewhere?

Yup !
It also floods the intake valve guides with too much oil, with the result
that oil is sucked past the guides and burnt.  Somewhere, I've got several
pistons with the top ring lands broken off, as a result of worn guides
combined with an external feed line.

Randall