TR 4 Radiator

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR 4 Radiator
From: "Gerald Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:15:57 -0400
List,
Does anyone know when the switch was made from a short neck radiator to a no
neck radiator on a TR4? Will either one fit an early TR4 (CT173130) that I
believe was original with a short neck radiator. Specifically, are there
differences in the frame where the bottom tank fits. I am inclined to think
that there are no differences but I was surprised when I tried to fit a TR 3
and found it would not fit in the pocket. Turns out the necks are different
too. They sure looked the same out of the car.
Also the registration says this is a 1964, it has the California STC64 prefix
on the commission number stated in the title. Is CTC17310 considered "early".?
The steering rack mounts like an early car off of 2 brackets extending up from
the frame. I am lead to believe that later TR4's steering racks mounted like
the 4A's, 250's and 6's mount.. Maybe that's the same time the change was made
to the no neck radiator.
Anyone know for certain?
Thanks,
Jerry Van Vlack