Re: Tach dies when brake pedal depressed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tach dies when brake pedal depressed
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 13:42:48 -0400
On 2 Sep 2003 at 8:56, Dave Massey wrote:

> Message text written by Brian N
> Is this a tach voltage sensitivity issue?
> Is it just the tach or does the engine try to die when you press the
> brakes?
>
> If it is just the tach then I would check all the green wire connections
> under the dash.  There may be a poor connection at a common tie point for
> the tach and the brake light switch.

I don't remember the exact wiring but I'll toss out the suggestion of
looking for a loose ground too.

Even further, does this happen specifically from the brake pedal or
from decceleration?  Test it two ways:  Does it happen if you hit the
brake pedal while reving in neutral?  Does it happen if you
deccelerate hard with engine braking but not with the brake pedal?

If the answers are yes and no, then it is an issue with the wiring
directly, or the brake pedal mechanism moving or pinching a wire.

If the answers are no and yes, then it is likely an issue with a
loose connection being broken by shifting of the wires, but not a
short related to the brake lights per se.  If this is the case, the
problem might be under the bonnet rather than behind the guages.
Especially if the engine is acutally quitting due to ignition shutoff
and you aren't noticing it because you're braking.

Just my $.007.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com