RE: California- no LBC/EV

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: California- no LBC/EV
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 17:40:04 -0700
Quoth Scott A. Roberts :

> Man- with a "Big Brother" government like that, no wonder they are tossing
> Gray Davis, for whom I have no love anyway, based on recent
> e-mails concerning
> his bias against older cars... What a way to waste taxpayer
> money- tracking
> down the visitors to accuse them of fraud! I could see if she had
> tags from a
> neighboring state- then maybe... But NJ!!!???

Scott, while I agree entirely with your sentiments, we can't really blame
Gray Davis for that particular law since it has been in effect since before
he took office.

And basically, the way the DMV interprets the law, even visitors must
register their cars here, if they remain within the state for over 20 days.
I think you can get out of it if you can prove you were a resident of
another state, but it becomes a "guilty until proven innocent" situation.

That said, they normally are pretty lax about enforcing those rules.  I
suspect your sister did something to attract the attention of the law (like
driving the speed limit for no apparent reason).  If any police officer does
a registration check, for whatever reason, the DMV learns about it.

Curiously enough, just today there was an article in the LA Times about
'photo' tickets being issued to the wrong people.  Seems the humans that
read the photos are careless sometimes.

Randall