RE: TR3 Engine Oil Gallery

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Engine Oil Gallery
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 19:21:48 -0700
> Beneath the camshaft bulge on the external profile of the engine
> is a similar
> tube-shaped bulge that runs the length of the engine front to
> back. I believe
> this is the oil gallery, though I don't know what it does.
>
> There are four plugs/bolts in this gallery.  What the heck are
> these for?  Is
> there a plug for each of four oil lines that feed--I dunno--a
> pair of lobes on
> the camshaft?

There are supposed to be special bolts in those holes, with an unthreaded
protrusion at the end, that serves to keep the cam bearings from turning in
the block (presumably only after a bearing failure, I don't think they would
turn otherwise).  There are holes in the inserts that have to be facing the
holes in the block, and the special bolts have to be just the right length
to avoid damaging the cam.

Randall