RE: TR4 Voltage regulator

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Voltage regulator
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 19:40:26 -0700
> I raised the output to
> 12.5V, which draws 12-13 amps on the meter and stays above zero with the
> lights and fan on.

The TR regulator (also used on other Triumphs, like Heralds) is a bit odd in
that it has only a single relay to regulate both current and voltage.
Because of that, when it is set correctly, it will show a slight discharge
at full load, and a slight charge at partial load.

> In fact, the ammeter now reads +2A all the time, even
> with the battery disconnected..... It didn't used to do that.

That should be impossible, unless you have the OD engaged or are blowing the
horns.  If that's not the case, then either your ammeter is off-center, or
there is something connected to the battery side of the ammeter that
shouldn't be there.

> In 40 years, this is the first time I've ever messed with a regulator.
> The manual is a little  vague about  a couple of things, like where to
> measure the open circuit voltage. I presumed terminals D and E  on the
> regulator.

That should be fine.

> Any comments from the electrical gurus?

Not sure why things failed, but I will comment that it's almost impossible
to accurately set the regulator by looking at the voltage with the battery
connected.  In effect, the voltage is set primarily by the battery,
depending on it's state of charge and rate of charge.  And, having the
voltage set too high (for example turning it up until the battery stays
charged in winter driving) can fry the generator in fairly short order.

Randall