TR3B Steering Problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3B Steering Problems
From: Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 05:17:49 -0400
I'll try to be brief in describing the problem....don't want to put all you
experts to sleep!

Ever since I acquired the 3, it has a tendency to wander. Once "set up" it
will track reasonable straight, but when moving to either direction, its
like there is a lot of play in the suspension. Since I was going to remove
the radiator (for other issue!) I decided it was now time to do something
about the TR's interesting handling problem.

I followed the directions in the Bentley reprint concerning stiff steering
(I have another steering unit I saved from a very old 58 3 that I parted
out back in the 70's) and I can move the arm with my hand. The one out of
the 63 3, will not move with my hand by pushing the arm. I can turn it by
rotating the shaft by hand.  It appears upon removal of both the top plate
& the end plate, that there may not be a bearing race on one of the
bearings.  I should add, that once separated the steering box from the rest
of the steering , there does not appear to be any looseness in the tie
rods, etc.

Oh wise ones, do I have 2 problems...tight steering and loose components
?  any ideas from such as mish mash description?

Thanks in advance everyone.