Re: TR3 coolant recovery bottle

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 coolant recovery bottle
From: "Mike Kitchener" <mikek@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:09:24 +0200
Bob wrote :

> Anyone have a recommendation for a decent after market coolant
> recovery system/bottle for a 1960 TR3A?  Mine seems to like to spit up
> little bits at a time until the radiator is low.

Hi Bob ,
I've been trying to do the same thing on my 3A for some time now , but it only
wants to work one way.......the coolant goes into the bottle as it heats up ,
but
never goes back into the radiator as it cools down . I guess there are too many
small leaks around the joint between the long neck and radiator .

So I've just fitted a spherical VW header tank just in front of the battery and
more or less next to the fluif tank .
The bottom connection goes to a T-connector on the heater return pipe and
the top pipe is connected to the radiator overflow pipe . I have also placed a
thin piece of aluminium sheet under the rad cap pressure valve to ensure a
permanent air bleed ......and a joint under the rad cap .
This seems to work well but shows up where the leaks are in the rad .
 It must be about time for a recore!!

HTH

Mike
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/kitchener