Distributor Advance/Retard - TR6

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor Advance/Retard - TR6
From: "Sloan, Jim" <JSloan@talisman-energy.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:01:44 -0600
Apologies  in advance for these elementary questions:
Can someone tell me if the unit sticking rearward (toward driver) out of the
1974 TR6 distributor (22D), which looks like a vacuum unit, is in fact a
vacuum unit. If so, is it  for advance or  retard. On my car and others I
have seen  the hose has been disconnected. Is that because it is a retard
unit for idle only and is inoperative at any other engine condition? Why do
people disconnect it? Is the advance  a centrifugal mechanism?
Jim Sloan