Re: GPS - Cool

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GPS - Cool
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:59:23 -0400
On 8 Sep 2003 at 13:56, Scott Tilton wrote:

> It is a timex watch that communicates with a GPS receiver...
> My [TR4's] speedometer is actually pretty darn accurate between
> about 40 MPH and 75 MPH...
> I suppose there are even more deluxe GPS handheld units with
> all sorts of memories and maps and stuff in them.

For five years or so (for various reasons unrelated to owning an LBC)
I've been running DeLorme Street Atlas USA and their Earthmate GPS
receiver on a laptop.  I've checked it against my various
speedometers and lo! the Spitfire's is quite accurate, better than my
Caravan's.  At an indicated 65mph the GT6+ is perhaps 4mph optimistic
though.  (Maybe it's time I upgraged those XZX tires.)  The neatest
thing about it though isn't that one can check one's speed, it's the
real-time track that it displays on the map in green arrows.  Very
James-Bond-tracking-Goldfinger-through-Switzerland, except that it's
tracking me instead.  And no blond has ever followed me in a red
Mustang. :-)

For what it's worth, I had to upgrade to SA2003 for my new machine
because my favorite previous version, SA7, wouldn't run under WinXP.
I'm less than thrilled with SA2003.  Much of the functionality was
lost and the added features aren't terribly useful.  Plus it takes
GOBS of disk space.  I sent them an itemized list of my issues but
they never replied, nor did I expect them to.  Your mileage may vary.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com