Re: installing elect fan

To: "Lou Metelko" <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>, "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: installing elect fan
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:29:19 -0500
From: "Lou Metelko" <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>

> Electric fans are great but keep in mind that they are not a cure all.
>
> Install an electric fan if you still have over heating problems AFTER you
> installed the correct blanking thermostat, recored or at least rodded the
> radiator and have a shroud ahead of the radiator.

Done all that.  Still, the electric fan comes in handy when the car is going
to spend some time not moving.  Cruising with the street rods at Back To The
Fifties, for instance.  You really need a fan to be able to drive as slowly
as 10,000 street rodders.

Essentially, before I installed the correct blanking thermostat, and a
re-cored radiator, (I always had the proper shroud on the front), the car
cooled adequately as long as the car was moving.  After I installed the
correct blanking thermostat, and a re-cored radiator, the car cooled
adequately whenever it was moving and for a short periods of not moving.

It does not take Einstein to figure out that this performance suggests that
the problem is air movement when the car is running, but not moving.  The
electric fan solves this.  It only gets used for traffic jams and cruises.
The fan is wired direct to the battery with its own fuse and switch.  I
mounted the switch out of sight under the dashboard. I have foolishly left
it running when leaving the car parked at a cruise and it ran for an hour
with no ill effects.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com