RE: NOS?

Subject: RE: NOS?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:35:38 -0700
> > What does the acronym NOS mean in ads for parts?\
>
> It usually means "New Old Stock", or parts that were made in the years
> the car was relatively new but have been around in storage since then.
> Typically NOS means they are better than the reproduction equivalent
> being made today.  But not always.  For example, I would never buy NOS
> brake rebuild kits because the rubber would probably be deteriorated.

Exactly.  In addition, NOS has to be one of the most abused terms around,
kind of like calling a used car a creampuff.  I've had sellers argue that
anything that's been on the shelf for over a year is "NOS" ... sometimes
when it isn't even the right brand !

Caveat Emptor ... especially on eBay !

Randall