Re: compact radio/cdplayer

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: compact radio/cdplayer
From: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:33:37 -0700
I would call them first.  At least three things to ask about and watch out
for:

1.  There are not many new modern radios that will fit the older style
openings.  They may not stock anything.

2.  Is your car positive or negative ground.  Most cars nowadays are
negative ground, but a good portion of the TR4s were positive ground.  It is
very difficult to find new radios that are positive ground.

3.  Speaker placement.  Beware, they may want to cut up your interior to
install speakers.  They may also want to cut the radio opening.  Many TR
owners will cringe at the thought of either of these.

There is at least one company that will take your vintage radio and convert
it to modern internals, but still keep it looking stock on the outside.  One
day, that's what I plan on doing to the dead Motorola in my 1964 TR4.  I
believe I will have to convert to negative ground to do this, though.
Anyone out there have contact info on this radio conversion company?

Paul Willoughby
Torrance, CA