Rasing a TR3A Top

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rasing a TR3A Top
From: "Ken Dahman" <KDahman01@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:45:42 -0500
Message text written by "T. S. White"
I see from the list that there is an  alternative method for raising the top
on a TR3A.  I have always raised the bows first and then stretched the top
onto the mounting buttons and   posts with the greatest of effort. ( Think
there must be a harder way to   do it.)

Could someone describe for me the easier way to raise the top, i.e. which
bow gets extended last?

The bow straps on my TR3A are slightly modified (by the PO). The
modification has made for a very easy top raising process. The straps that
run from the rear movable bow to the car body have been removed.

This allows me to:

Raise the bows but leave the side mounted elbow hinges flexed,

Extend the top most bow and lock into place,

Leave the rear most bow folded (if you have the straps attached to the body,
you can not do this).

Place the top on the frame and snap into place. Then, reach in and raise the
elbow hinges on each side. Lastly, push the rear most bow down until it
seats into the seam above the rear window. I have never had a problem with
the rear bow sliding out of place.

Several of my Healey friends saw me do this once when we were scrambling to
raise the top on our cars in a rain storm. They were impressed and probably
had some other feelings, when they saw me sitting in my TR, some what drier
than they, as they were still out trying to raise their tops (not BJ8s).

Ken Dahman

59 TR3A