ct: Anybody know what this is?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: ct: Anybody know what this is?
From: "January Williams" <january@chemeketa.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:43:25 -0700
Cc: <kurtisj@cox-internet.com> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h8QGjUF8027291
I've got one on my 4A, although I have an early TR4 transmission, CT3869
on the car now awaiting my original OD trans which was rebuilt last
winter (but the weather has been too nice to swap them; we've put 1500
miles on the car in the past month)
I looked in vain for any mention of this object in the manuals . . . it
does look like a ballast or damper, but I seem to remember it has been
brought to the list before without a satisfactory resolution.
Jonmac, any recollections?

January
66 TR4A CTC74217 LO

Note the object clamped to the rear of my transmission and linked back
to the strap connecting the shifter extension on the transmission to the
rear mount.  Does anyone know what the heck this thing is?  The object
hanging below appears to simply be a dead weight.  I can't for the life
of me figure out what the purpose of the thing is, nor can I find any
reference to it in any of my TR4 related literature.