Re: TR3A Head

To: terryrs@adelphia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Head
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 07:52:46 EDT
In a message dated 09/27/2003 10:16:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
terryrs@adelphia.net writes:

> Before I order valves, seals and such, and take the head in to the machine
> shop, does anyone have advice about how to refurbish the valve seats for
> unleaded gas?

I've just had my TR3A head done. Sourced all the parts from Ken Gillanders
(British Frame & Engine), had it machined locally (NY). Ken not only sourced
quality parts but provided very good advice. I replaced all valves, springs,
retainers, guides and had the hardened seats put in. Also picked up the upper
gasket set from him. There are some options to choose from, stainless valves
vs.
steelite, bronze guides vs. cast iron, etc. I'd suggest to give him a call
before ordering any parts or before taking the head to the machine shop. If you
are near to So. Cal. I think you could also have him do the whole job. I
provided the machinist with the parts I' d decided upon, after talking with
Ken. The
machinist ordered directly from Ken. Had I not done it this way, the machinist
would have ordered the parts from Victoria-British. I feel a lot more
comfortable with the parts that I got. The machinist stated that the parts were
exactly what they were supposed to be.

Ed (58 TR3A)