RE: "Decking" wet sleeve block

Subject: RE: "Decking" wet sleeve block
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:11:12 -0700
Cc: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Back to you Randall:  When you are dealing with a 35-40 year old block,
> water passages in the block become scaled up causing blockages
> that are near
> impossible to get at in your driveway with a hose and some magical elixir.

No argument there ... but with the sleeves removed you can easily access all
the passages to mechanically clean them.  You can literally see through the
rear drain !

BTW, my block is closer to 50 years old (came out of a 56 TR3), and I wasn't
kidding about having cleaned the entire water jacket with the block still in
the car and the front apron on.  I did all of the critical areas with a
rotary wire brush mounted in an air die grinder, with just a bit of touchup
with a "steel toothbrush" around the water inlet.  Granted, I pulled the car
into the garage, where it made a heckuva mess on the floor ... <g>

One other thing about not dipping, it doesn't destroy the factory paint on
the inside of the crankcase.  While I don't doubt it can be done
successfully, repainting that area makes me nervous.  I've heard from too
many people that had the paint flake off and fall into the oil ...

"(A) man's got to know his limitations" - Dirty Harry

Randall