RE: Toyota caliper upgrade

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Toyota caliper upgrade
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:24:32 +0100
I fail to see how a caliper swop will improve the brakes on a TR4. If the disc
is the same, the only gain I can see would be if they offer a greater pad area

For my money TR4 brakes are excellent if properly overhauled and with the rear
brakes and handbrake adjusted correctly. Certainly I've found them good enough
to race with

The only change I am going to make is to split the front & rear circuits with
twin master cylinders to avoid total brake loss in the event of hydraulic
failure

If the Toyota calipers were twin piston and twin circuit I'd consider them in
conjunction with a new master cylinder and some repiping at the rear to give a
twin-circuit system, but that's re-engineering the braking system and nothing
I'd take on lightly

But just changing calipers? Why would that be an upgrade?

Nicholas Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk