RE: Toyota caliper upgrade

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Toyota caliper upgrade
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:43:14 -0700
> The reference to metric in the instructions only refers to the size of the
> caliper bolts and not to any of the threads.
>
> To those who have done this modification am I correct or is it me who is
> reading the instructions wrong?

Jerry, I haven't read the instructions, but I'm pretty sure Phil is right.
The later calipers had both metric inlet fittings, and metric mounting
holes.  The pipe was changed to adapt the fitting, and the bolts were
changed to accommodate the holes (while retaining the same mounting
bracket).

I believe the Toyota calipers have a different inlet fitting (also metric
but not the same), so a new pipe needs to be fabricated.  Last time I was at
HVDA's house, he was making new pipes by buying off-the-shelf brake lines
with the metric fitting already at both ends, cutting them in half, putting
on one of the old nuts, and flaring the cut end.

Randall