TR3 Rear Bearing Cap Oil Seal

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Rear Bearing Cap Oil Seal
From: ebk@buffnet.net
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:35:18 -0400
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:44:55 GMT
From: bbrewer@qnet.com

     Got a question: On the rear oil cap there are the two slots where you are
supposed to pound in the sealing strips that have been soaked in sealant. I
read in a Triumph Tech Talk where Ken Gillanders recommended using silicone
sealant stating that it was a simple fix to a messy job. Are there pros and
cons to the different methods? Has anyone tried one of the methods and not had
satisfactory results?

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, California
Hi List & bill!
        I just finished my engine rebuild & have driven it for the 1st summer.
I read that article by Ken & spoke/E-miled him about it. His response was that
the articles were written some time ago & some of the people that did do that
way, STILL had the rear seal leak. He suggested that I might be just as happy
the old way of using Gasket Shealce (sp). So don't go out to purchase silicone
just for that purpose. there are other factors that could help more.
-Cosmo Kramer