RE: + or -

To: Mark Hooper <>, TR <>, Geo Hahn <>, "'David Massey'" <> hBF07AGx010079
Subject: RE: + or -
From: David Massey <>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:52:31 -0500
Message text written by Mark Hooper
>That reminds me of my grade seven science fair project. That was a rather
odd Wimshurst machine for making electric sparks jump between two points.
involved (among other things) a handcranked vinyl 33 LP record some copper
piping and a Leyden jar (capacitor) made of a glass peanut butter container
with aluminum wrap on the inside and out. It sparked pretty well too.

I never played with stuff like that, but I made an arc lamp with some
washing machine brushes.  Worked really god until the aquarium water got
really nasty so I bypassed it.  (Hint: don't try this at home)