Re: OEM shift knobs

To: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: OEM shift knobs
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 22:49:27 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Randall Young wrote:
I don't know if the TR6 was ever fitted with the OD switch in the shift
knob; but I know the Stag and Spitfire were.  Those shift levers were hollow
for the wires, and had a different thread for the knob than the 'regular'
shift levers.

The introduction of overdrive switches in the gear lever itself was a
progressive introduction on all Triumphs from about 1968. It started with
the Mk 2 2000 and 2.5PI - and slowly spread. I think the TR saw it from
about 1972 onwards - at least, for the injected version. Don't see why it
shouldn't have applied to US spec cars as well. I don't know why it took so
long to effect the carryover on to TR because it shared the same gearbox
with the large saloons. The reasons for this change were documented by me
some months ago on either this list or 6 Pack. Don't now remember which one
as I don't have the copy.
Jonmac

---