Welders and Compressors

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Welders and Compressors
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:27:27 -0800
Listers,

It seems that every couple of months or so, we have a swirl of posts
regarding welders or compressors.  Usually its a list member asking if
"Brand XX" welder/compressor is any good, which is then followed by the
swirl of replies - with at least one of the replies detailing how you can't
buy a decent example of welder/compressor for the dollar amount quoted in
the original post, that you really need XX SCFM or XX HP or XX Amps to
really do the job right.  This is all well and good, but doesn't do anything
to answer the original lister's question.  All of us cannot justify (or
maybe afford) to buy "the best".  If the need for a tool is infrequent, it's
hard to justify spending big bucks on it.  In such an instance, it's
probably more cost effective to hire someone else to do the work.  If I have
a budget of $500 for a tool, it does me no good to be informed that $1000
will buy me a better one. I know that the $500 tool may not perform as well,
or do all the functions of a more expensive model. In that particular case,
what I really need to know is which ($500 or less) brand/model will give me
the most bang for the buck.

So here's the challenge:
In your experience, what make/model is the best welder for under $250, $500,
and $1000? What are the limitations of each (if any)?
In your experience, what make/model is the best air compressor for under
$250, $500, and $1000?  What are the limitations of each (if any)?

Maybe the answers will settle the recurring questions.

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6