Re: Welders and Compressors

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welders and Compressors
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:45:17 -0500
Normally Randall would reply to this but I think he gets so tired of
saying it that I thought I would give him a hand :-)

Plus it would give me a chance to let him know I finally "got it".

The compressor rating of 12 cfm @ 80 psi really means that it sucks in
12 cfm at atmospheric pressure (14 psi) compresses it and spits it out
at 80 psi. If you double the pressure you reduce the volume by 1/2. So
the 12 cfm come in at 14 psi and go out at 80 psi.

14/80 = .175
1.75 X 12 = 2.1

So the compressor is really generating only 2.1 cfm at 80 psi not 12 cfm
at 80 psi.

Did I get it almost right Randall?  :-)

Don Malling