Re: Another bit of humor on Ebay (LBC, but not Triumph)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another bit of humor on Ebay (LBC, but not Triumph)
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:16:02 +0000
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, at around 20:41:22 local time, Rich White
<rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Why list it if you are going to describe it like that!
>I'm not suggesting he should say that it is in show condition, but really...

It's not a bad bit of marketing, and here's why:

Loads of people who would not otherwise have looked at his auction are
now doing so - because it's funny.   The more people who look at an
auction item on eBay, the more who bid on it.

Because the description is funny, people are going to read all of it.
That means that genuine selling points (including such interesting facts
as the fact that this is a very early example of the model) will reach
everyone who visits the page.

Potential bidders will have great confidence that the description is not
flattering the car: it might be accurate, or it might even be
over-harsh.   This is going to make them feel confident that there would
be no unpleasant surprises if they won, hence they are more likely to
bid.

I reckon this car will sell for more money under this description than
it would have done under a more normal approach.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671