Re: bat in the attic

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bat in the attic
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:20:58 +0000
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, at around 22:43:52 local time, david brady
<dmb993@earthlink.net> wrote:
>I was hoping to insulate my garage
>ceiling this weekend. When I climbed
>into the attic, I noticed some droppings
>on the floor. I looked up and discovered
>a rat roosting on my rafters. Does this
>mean insulating my garage is ruled out?
>The bat appears to be hibernating. He'll
>probably hang out, no pun intended,
>'till spring. If I disturb him he may not
>survive the winter. Am I crazy to try to
>work around him?

In England and Wales it is a criminal offence to disturb a bat roost -
even if there are no bats present.   Bats are generally endangered
species, and are very sensitive to human interference.   I have no idea
what the legal situation is in the US, but for the sake of nature
conservation, I hope you decide to leave this one alone.   There may be
a Bat Group local to you who could advise on the problem (in UK we have
at least one such group in each county, but, again, I don't know what
the situation is in the US).

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671