Re: Oil Spill Cleanup Attempt #2

To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, <MotoPsyche@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Spill Cleanup Attempt #2
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 15:48:54 -0500
In addition, the front engine mounting plate on a 2, 3 or 4 engine gets
warped too and that seal on the engine side is only a thin piece of paper.
It doesn't take long for that joint to start leaking. Like the Timing cover
crank seal and gasket the oil runs down and out at the leading edge of the
oil pan making the pan look like the culprit. That one is a major job to
replace and normally only done at an engine overhaul.
Lots of leak paths. It's more of a control situation than an absolute
sealing problem. A little like the Dutch Boy with his finger in the dike.
Being of Dutch heritage I understand these things!

Jerry Van Vlack,
Minimizing the leaks whenever I can. It's a career in itself.