Re: TR6 Clutch Saga

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch Saga
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:53:34 -0000
Hi Trevor
I have the 2.5 PI and fitted a new clutch a while back LUK brand. Nice
clutch! my car was on the 70+k miles mark and I would think (though there is
no proof) that the clutch was the original despite the car having had a new
short engine not long before I got it. How foolish was that! I was changing
the gearbox and anytime I drag that heavy great B!"#$%d thing out I fit a
new clutch, taper bolt, bushes etc. I think I could possibly still have been
driving on the original clutch now 110k miles if I hadn't changed it, as it
still had a good amount of lining left, possibly as much as half!
I think the clutch you have described could have been for a Saloon as they
use the same flywheel and box except the input shaft is smaller, therefore
allowing a smaller release bearing!
I have in the past turned the round pins to bring a new area into contact,
but I would have thought that a car of the age of yours would have had the
square slipper blocks fitted to the pins originally, or did they not do that
on the TR6 (or am I confusing the Dolomite style of fitment).
I too bought one of those darn copper coated taper pins once, still have it
somewhere I think, bought in UK! I then bought one from Chris Witor the
2000, 2500 Saloon Guru, this fitted perfectly without any modification!
Hope this is of some help.

Graham