RE: TR6 Clutch Saga

To: Randall Young <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 Clutch Saga
From: Trevor Jordan <trevor@jordan.name>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:04:36 +1100
At 8:41 PM -0800 10/1/04, Randall Young wrote:
>I believe it fits multiple applications, some of which may well have a
>smaller diameter TOB.

Graham Stretch has mentioned the saloon which had the same gearbox
but with a smaller input shaft and TOB.

>I've not had a problem, the pins I got from TRF fit just fine.  However, I
>definitely recommend having the fork and shaft drilled for a 1/4" cross bolt
>with a nyloc nut, thereby ending broken taper pins forever.  I used grade 8,
>but it's probably overkill.

Looks like I should order a pin from TRF.  I intend to install a cross bolt.

>That does seem awfully short for the wear you describe ... are you sure it
>isn't 156K miles ?  Or perhaps it was all in-town driving.  Like that
>proverbial cream puff, driven by a little old lady from Pasadena, only 15K
>miles ... 1/4 mile at a time !

As for the life of the clutch, there are a number of possibilities:

1. The car has actually done 156k miles.  This seems unlikely given
the overall condition of the car.

2. The clutches have had a short life due to either low quality or bad driving.

3.  The  taper pin failed but the clutch was not replaced because it
still had significant life left.  However, it is not clear to me why
someone would grind the flywheel but not replace the clutch.

Take your pick.  There is no evidence favouring any one of the above.

Regards, Trevor Jordan