RE: TR3 reboring

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 reboring
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 06:56:35 -0800
> 1.) I've got 3 engines; TS32XXXE, TS512XXE and TS52XXXE currently
> living in the car. What prevents me from taking the best spare
> engine (both 83mm), reboring it to 86mm or 87mm and refitting new pistons?

Probably nothing.

> 2.) When would you ever need to change the liners?

The outer profile of the larger liners is different, making them thicker
through the center section than the 83mm liners will be after being bored.
Original liners also sometimes pit deeply, leading to further concerns about
how thin they are after boring.

It's a hassle finding a machine shop that knows how to bore liners properly,
and the price differential (by the time you pay for the machining, extra
trips to the machine shop, etc.) is minimal at best.  Also one more place
for a mistake to creep in (and how are you going to check surface finish,
ovality, taper, etc ?)

So, while I don't know that you ever _have_ to change the liners, I always
have.

Randall