RE: TR4 wheel cylinders - vendor choice?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 wheel cylinders - vendor choice?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:11:07 -0800
> I'm just beginning the rear axle rebuild on my 63 TR4.  I notice
> it has two
> different wheel cylinders - one slotted and one not.  Both are 0.75 dia,
> but that's about the only commonality between sides, so I've decided to
> replace 'em both.
>
> Seems to me that slotted pistons are better than flat-topped - less
> opportunity for the brake shoes to shift.  What say y'all?

I believe the slotted pistons were used by the factory only on the TR3
brakes that didn't have positive hold-downs.  If your TR4 has the 'nail'
shoe hold-downs (as it should), then I believe either style piston will work
fine.  The slotted ones are quite a bit more expensive, if they're even
still available.

Randall