Re: Liner Installation Procedure

To: Terry Smith <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Liner Installation Procedure
From: Bob labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:18:06 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Terry Smith wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your advice on gasket/sealant choices.
>
> Now, after prepping the figure 8 gaskets and block "lips" with Permatex
> Aviation sealant, and being ready then to put the liners/pistons in, I'm
> sensing that the bottom end of the liners drop into their receptacles dry.
> However, does anyone spray a coating of oil on these to help keep the liners
> relatively free in their sockets during the life of the engine?  ...Or would
> the heat of the engine just cook the oil into a kind of gluey paste over time
> anyway? Both my manuals are silent, so I'm suspecting dry.
>
> Terry Smith
> '59 TR3A (Off the frame and in pieces, but they're mostly cleaned, wire
> brushed, and painted...or replaced.)

Terry,

I put permatex on both the liners and the block where the liners fit
before I installed them. I believe I read that in the manual. But I am
not sure that is the correct procedure. After they were installed, I
checked to see if any cement ozzed out the botton and wiped it clean.

  Better wait for some more replies from the list.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V
1998 T-Bird T3