Re; Living History

To: <Krssamw@omh.state.ny.us>, "Adrian Dix-Dyer" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>, <BigOldWumper@aol.com>
Subject: Re; Living History
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:39:56 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
 BigOldWumper wrote:
This may have already been said, but according to the book "Triumph Sports
Cars" by William Krause, the company was named "Standard" because when it
first
began (1903) all the parts used on their cars were interchangeable and thus
'standard.' They shied away from this standardization of parts soon after,
but
the name remained.
- -Sean

The very early cars (pre 1914, though probably pre 1908) did make extensive
use of interchangeable parts - but in this regard, many other British and
European makers did the same. It made economic sense in an emerging industry
that was not - unlike a little car called a Model T - geared for high volume
output. The standardisation of componentry was not the reason for the
company's name.

Adrian Dix Dyer wrote:
I always believed the name Standard was taken from our flag.
In fact my father had a pre war Flying Standard car, a 1938 I believe. It
had a double Union Jack (Our National flag) mascot in Chrome and enamel on
top of the radiator. This is the Flying Standard Flag. After world war two
the Flying bit was dropped from the name for reasons unknown to me.
Subsequently Standard Triumph was born.

Adrian - the Flying Standards came into existence in 1935/6 over the model
range. The 'flying' term referred to their more aerodynamic body shapes
having evolved from a square box or wind-cheating rough cast brick shape.
They continued for about two years after WW2 in slightly more updated form
as this was the quickest way to resume car production after six odd years of
making aircraft and aircraft components. Anyone who is interested in
Triumph's postwar antecedents with Standard will greatly enjoy Phil Homer's
outstanding website at www.standardmotorclub.org.uk

Alvin Watkins wrote:
AhHmm, What about Solihull and Speke?

> [...]
were made by and at The Standard Motor Company, Coventry - and regardless of
what later commission plates may say to the contrary.

Solihull was the postwar manufacturing plant for The Rover Company and Land
Rover. In the 70's some Triumph work may have been done at Solihull (e.g.
Standard-Triumph 2.3 and 2.6 6 cyl ohc engines that appeared in Rover SD1)
but this was after all the BL management had been mixed up and redeployed.
Speke was built in the late 'fifties as a government sponsored initiative to
reduce unemployment. Of the many companies who opened new facilities in and
around Speke, all of them came to regret the decision from appalling labour
relations and even worse build quality. Most of what came out of Speke was
re-built and finished in Coventry though I think I'm right in saying the TR7
and Toledo were built there in entireity. AFAIK the only 'Triumph' not made
in Coventry at all was the Acclaim - but that was a Honda.

Jonmac

---