Re: Build Year or Sale/Title Year?

To: <ZoboHerald@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Build Year or Sale/Title Year?
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:49:41 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Andy Mace wrote:
Oh, and Jeff mentioned his "1968" TR4A? Interesting situation. He's right
insofar as TR4As were not built in 1968, but "leftover" cars were still
being catalogued in Triumph sales literature and price lists in 1968. I
don't know exactly how Leyland sidestepped any safety or emissions issues
back then, but I'm sure it was all legitimate!

I hope so. Each car that left the factory for the States had an original
signed copy (by one Ian Wright) of a Certificate of Origin attesting to the
fact that *it had been manufactured* though the build date was intentionally
omitted. This caused no problem in the US as the car was also separately
mentioned on the general Bill of Lading and was also an integral and
described element of the group invoice to the importer. One would have
thought that with all this documentation, it would have been self-evident
what the model year would have been - but I guess some lulu will always
screw up and wrongly title a car. None of the Certs of Origin survive,
though BMIHT always checks the microfilmed copy of the original invoice
together with the car's individual build 'tally' before it issues a Heritage
Certificate. And before anyone wants to know if they can have a copy of the
invoice, I can guarantee that BMIHT's answer will be emphatically negative
:)

Jonmac

---