Re: Inertia switch!

To: tswrace@pacbell.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Inertia switch!
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:42:58 EST
Most 85 and up Ford products use a inertia switch.  In trucks it is under the
dash on a kick panel, cars have it located in the trunk.  They seem to come
in two flavors, round red button and rectangular white button.

I can't tell you how many Fords had been towed into my shop for a no start.
" We went shopping, came out and the car would not start"   A quick reset and
they are on their way.

I've experimented on old junkers and a hit with a rubber mallet on the rear
fender well  will make one trip.

GM/Chrysler and most others use a engine computer controlled relay in
parallel with a oil pressure switch.

VW Rabbit, Golf and others use a RPM sensing fuel pump relay ( the fuse for
the pump is located on top of the relay)

I'd tend to use a oil pressure switch for simplicity and reliability sake.
Ignition power turns on a relay, power then flows to the oil pressure switch
then out to the pump.  Adding a crank bypass to run the pump would be a good
idea, but I like to have a engine crank over a while to build oil pressure
before
it starts.

Harold