Re: TR3A Windscreen Guide Plates?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Windscreen Guide Plates?
From: Tr3bob@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:51:05 -0500
Yes they are required!!!
The inside surface of the stanchion has a horizontal keyslot. In Dzus fastened
windscreens, there was a matching keyed plate that bolted to the scuttle. If
you notice on early TR's with Dzus fastened windscreens there is a pocket in
the scuttle to clear the Dzus wires. When installing the windscreen (it usually
took 2 guys), you'd slide the windscreen onto the exposed key from the front
and lock it in with the Dzus fasteners.
When they eliminated the Dzus fasteners, they removed the Dzus wires (generally
rivetted to the keyed plate) and added holes to line up with the holes in the
windscreen. It still has the exposed key and still keys into the stanchions,
but now it acts only as a spacer and fits flush up against a smooth scuttle (no
pockets).
I know some people that have removed the Dzus wires from some plates allowing
them to be used in a non-Dzus application.
I'm surprized you didn't crack the glass without the spacers

Bob Stahlbush