Re: wood

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wood
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:50:40 -0800
I did about the same thing.  I used 1/4" exterior plywood, which basically
means "waterproof" glue. The higher quality plywood often means a birch
veneer instead of spruce and I didn't care about that.  But then I used a
radial arm saw to cut 1/8 inch deep slits at about every inch. I soaked
these for awhile, don't remember how long, but it was at least a few hours.
I then clamped them to the seat back to force them into the right bend and
let them dry that way and then gave them several coats of exterior
varythane. I used aluminum pop-rivets to fasten them to the back and, as I
recall, I inserted the rivets from the back and put them through small
washers on the wood side to help prevent splitting or pulling through the
wood.  Then I filed down any rough edges on the rivets so it wouldn't wear
holes in the material that was stretched over it.   I used some tacks, but a
staple gun seemed to do a better job.

Anyway, that's what I did and it seemed to work pretty well.

Bob