RE: Bosch Spark plugs

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bosch Spark plugs
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:11:01 -0800
> As I am electrically challenged I need some advice. I picked up a set of
> Bosch platinum spark plugs to try in the TR4, but have heard that
> you have to use
> a special gapping tool to keep from damaging the platinum coating.

The Bosch plugs don't use a coated electrode, instead it's solid platinum
(at least at the tip) and a very fine wire encased in ceramic.  An ordinary
gap gauge won't cause any problem, but as with any plug, you should not pry
against the center electrode to set the gap.  Use a tool (even chain nose
pliers will work) to bend the side electrode to open the gap; I just tap the
plug against a hard surface to close it.

> I am
> running a Crane XR700 electronic ignition system. My question is
> can I use a regular
> steel gapping tool to set the gap and because of the electronic
> system would
> I be wise to open the gap up somewhat?

My personal suggestion would be to use the stock gap with the XR700.  It's
just a "point amplifier" type ignition, has a slightly faster rise time than
points but doesn't generate any more voltage.  Even with a much higher power
ignition, I've never been able to find any advantage to opening up the plug
gap on a stock TRactor motor.

Randall