Re: (Rear) Spring Has Sprung

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: (Rear) Spring Has Sprung
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:42:13 -0500
Hi, Bill.  I just did the suspension this summer.

To get the bushing out of the eye in the front of the springs, I used a
bench vise with an appropriate fitted socket to press the bushing, and a
larger socket to provide the gap to push it into.  Line things up, and crank
on the vice.  I forget if I used propane heat as an encourgement.

The silent blocks, I took to the machine shop to have removed and the new
ones replaced.

I didn't see the need to dismantle/clean the rear leaf springs.  Nobody sees
them.  I did, though, wash them in powerful detergent, soak them in Metal
Ready (any phosphoric acid will do), and then painted them with POR 15.
We'll see how it drives.

If I remember, I replaced both links for the rear shocks because the rubber
in the middle ball joint had deteriorated over the 44 years since it came
out of the factory.

What people told me about the "feel" of the rear shocks wasn't so much the
amount of force to move them, but rather whether they were consistent in
their resistance from end to end.  Buy Harley Davidson fork oil for about
$8.00, drain and replace the oil in the shocks before you test them.  There
are people who can tell you how to adjust the shocks to be stiffer, if you
choose.  Randall may know of that link.

Have fun!

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A (Off the frame and in pieces, but engine rebuild is a couple of
weeks away!  Whoo Hoo!)
---------