Thrust Washers

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thrust Washers
From: "Larry Plott" <lplott@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 22:29:00 -0500
Okay, I am in a bit of a conundrum.  End play on my TR4A crank is supposed to
be .004" - .006".  That is simple enough to understand.  The problem is that
during my engine rebuild, I have discovered that I have .008" end play.  The
only oversized thrust washers are +.005".  I have verified that with the
replacement thrust washers I now only have .003" or perhaps slightly less.
(In my ignorance, I had hoped that each set would be only .0025" totaling
.005" instead of each side at .005").

Unless someone can bring new information to the table, I think my options are
to pick either .003" which is too tight or .008" which is too loose.  I
understand that this is a real weakness in the TR4 engines so I want to get it
right.  Please advise.

Regards,

Larry Plott
lplott@triad.rr.com