Going fast while standing still

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Going fast while standing still
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 17:32:42 -0400
I've sort of gummed up my speedometer.

While installing a nice electronic gauge stabilizer, I also took the
opportunity to look inside my speedometer. I had noticed that it was jerking
around at the same time as the numbers on the odometer were moving. "Ah ha!"
thought I, "the odometer is stiff and causing the cable to act like a spring
and thus creating this jerky needle movement". So I extracted the gauge
workings from the case and sprayed them liberally with silicone lubricant
(some sort of WD-40 like stuff). SO the odometer is moving very smoothly
now. However what is also happening is that the needle is not coming back to
zero when stopped and is not rising above 35 mph when on the highway.
Vigorous tapping on the gauge glass will bring it to 10 mph when stopped,
and reversing will drag it to zero, but that's it.

Do I have some hope that the works will just dry out and free up, or should
I be doing something to remove the silicone and lubricate the need bearing
another way?

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6