TR3A steering wheel/turn signal questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A steering wheel/turn signal questions
From: "Joe Lynn" <jlynn604@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 22:04:29 -0400
My TR3a has a wood-rimmed Moto-Lita steering wheel. The DPO who installed it
put a horn button under the dash and 2 manual switches on the dash for the
turn signals. While I like the wheel, the turn signals are a PITA because
they don't cancel. Even worse, the turn signal indicator on the dash only
works when it feels like it. So, I often find myself reaching for a turn
signal and finding that I had been driving for the past few miles with it
(or the other one) already on.

Question 1: The turn signal switches themselves are clear plastic & have a
flasher indicator built into them. Unfortunately they are not bright anough
to see in daylight. But since they work consistently, I'm guessing that the
intermittent problem with the stock indicator light is somewhere in the
wiring to it? I haven't yet traced the wires to see how they were routed
since they are not in the steering column.

Question 2: I would really like to go to a standard control head & get rid
of the 3 DPO switches. I see that Moss has a MotoLita adapter hub for the
non-adjustable steering column that can use the original control head. Has
anyone used this?

Question 3: The Moss adapter is pretty pricey. Before I order it, how do I
tell for sure that I have a non-adjustable steering column? I see that the
original adjustable wheel had a different spoke configuration, but since I
don't have the original wheel, that doesn't help me. There seems to be a
non-stock adapter installed to attach the Moto-Lita wheel, but it is very
narrow & won't hold the control head.

TIA,
Joe Lynn
1959 TR3A TS52399L