RE: Speedometer Question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Speedometer Question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 13:43:46 -0700
>  I recently purchased an TR3 speedometer on ebay (no regrets).
> However, the pointer is very erratic and sticks at about 20mph
> when stopped.  Did I get the wrong model speedometer?

Yup, it's obviously for  a car that looks like it's going 20 when it's
stopped ...

>  If so,
> what should I look for?  Am I missing something like grounding?

Nope, they're purely mechanical.  One thing to try : loosen the drive cable
a bit at the speedo head and see if that cures the sticking.  Some speedo (&
tach) cables are too long and can put pressure onto the works inside the
head, which causes all sorts of strange problems.

> Or should I start to locate another speedometer (the old one
> seized)?

Unless you're interested in taking up the fine art of speedometer repair,
I'd suggest either buying another one (which likely won't be a whole lot
better, these things are 40-something years old after all) or sending yours
off to be repaired.

If you would like to take a stab at it yourself, see
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rhodes/speedo.html

Randall