re: tr3 v8

To: L1J1S@aol.com
Subject: re: tr3 v8
From: Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 08:24:52 -0400 jwimkrs1.na.jci.com/NA/Johnson_Controls(Release 6.0.3|September 26, 2003) at 05/10/2004 07:26:36 AM
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>to all members, does anyone have any or know of what V 8 would fit into a
>tr3? also are there major modifications needed to be made. larry schwartz
tr3-a

I met a guy around 1980 who had a TR3 with a V8 showhorned into it. The
engine, if I remember right, was an early 60's aluminum 215cu V8 that
Oldsmobile and Buick used at the time. He had mated it to a Muncie 4-speed
tranny and used the stock rear end. The front suspesion was from a Jaguar,
but not sure which one, and required different springs in the front due to
the much lighter weight of the aluminum engine. With the stock springs, the
front of the car actually sat up higher than with the original cast-iron
4-cylinder engine in it. I also seem to remember some modifications to the
linkage, maybe some u-joints or something, and some cutting of the inner
fender to provide clearance for the linkage. He had also installed a HUGE
muffler which made the engine very quiet, so that unsuspecting Trans Am's
and Corvette's wouldn't know what bit 'em. With the hood closed, the car
looked almost completely original, except for the 3-pt roll bar and
slightly wider tires. But that car handled like a go-cart with a Nascar
engine under the hood! What a ride!

I've wondered how I can remember that car so well after more than 20 years,
but i think it must be that once you take a ride in something like that,
you never forget!

Jeff W.
'58 TR3A
Belleville, MI