RE: Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest V1 #1925

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest V1 #1925
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:37:04 -0700
> Well, a few years ago, I saw a TR4 with a Buick 215/Rover
> 3.5Liter V8 stuffed in the engine bay here in the Seattle area.
> Other than banging in the wheel wells to fit it looked pretty
> straight forward, and using the 3.5L keeps it in the family at least.

Might be worth mentioning that the TR4 is substantially wider between the
inner fenders than a TR3 ... even a small block Ford fits without too much
banging.  One of my local club members drives a "TR-Ford" with a 5.0 Ford
motor in it.

Don't know if he still has it or not, but a local club member by the name of
Julian Burns used to have a very nicely done TR3A with a TR8 motor in it.

And maybe Paul W. will say a few words about his current conversion ...
although I think he's finding it's never "easy" ...

To my mind, a 2.8L Chevy V6 would be the ideal conversion ...  I think it
will fit with very little modification (except building a back plate to
attach it to the TR transmission and converting to R&P steering to get the
column out of the way).  It's much lighter than the stock TRactor motor,
makes quite a bit more power even naturally aspirated (140-160hp SAE in
stock "high output" trim) and best of all, there are blower and nitrous kits
available for it.  Being a relatively small displacement motor, the stock
drivetrain should be able to handle the torque (well, as long as you go easy
on the laughing gas <G>).

If you're serious about V8 power tho, I think you'll quickly find that you
need to upgrade the entire drivetrain ... then the frame won't be stiff
enough ...

Randall