RE: Gluing dash veneer

To: "'Barry Schwartz'" <bschwart@pacbell.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gluing dash veneer
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 08:00:00 -0700
Cc: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Barry Schwartz
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 7:30 AM
To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Gluing dash veneer

I am about ready to refinish the dash on the wife's Spitfire resto.  I
am
leaning towards using contact cement(Scotch 90 high strength), but
thought
I would check to see if anybody has had any experience good or bad with
using it, or possibly a suggestion for using something else if that
isn't
suitable.  The dash will still have the original varnish (it won't be
removed) but it will be sanded before applying the adhesive.  I am
adding
an oil gauge to the center just because I believe there should have been
one originally.  It should look really nice when done.
The real wood veneer is very thin, approx 1/32nd of an inch thick so I
need
something that won't bleed through - plus, anybody have a source for
white
transfer letters???  I used to be able many years ago to buy them but
with
the advent of computers, transfer type letters are practically obsolete.
Barry Schwartz (San Diego)
---

Barry,
I have used contact cement to stick veneer to metal dash inserts and it
has worked well.  I can't think of any reason it should not work on a
wood dash as well.

However, the chemicals in the cement may react with the old varnish, so
I would go to the extreme of removing it if it were me.

I am not sure to what you are referring when you mention transfer
letters.

Regards,
Joe