Re: Breaking in a rebuild engine (kinda longish)

To: scherer_william@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Breaking in a rebuild engine (kinda longish)
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 08:09:20 -0700 FILETIME=[1A95F7E0:01C43833]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Hi List
>  I am back on the list!  Been off for a few months after moving halfway
>across the country.
>The engine is finally together after a complete rebuild.  What is the
>common wisdom on breaking in a Triumph engine?  I have never had a new
>engine in my life. Is there a recommended oil to be used, and how often it
>should be changed? I have heard that the RPMs should be varied, but for how
>long before it is considered broken in? Please give me a few suggestions.
>Bill in Minnesota
>54 TR2

Hi Bill,

What I did was fill with straight 30wt oil, the prime the oil pump using I
think a screwdriver blade on an electric drill with the distributor removed
(maybe I just turned it over with the spark plugs out though). Anyway you
need to make sure the oil is flowing through the passages first. Once you've
done that you simply set the static timing and fire it up. I was told to rev
it up  to ~2000 rpms and leave it there for 15 minutes. You'll want to set
up a fan in front of the radiator if you can to prevent overheating. Of
course make sure you have good oil pressure after you start it, and try to
make sure you don't have any major leaks before hand as you really want the
first firing to last about 15 minutes.

The major thing you want to prevent is damaging the camshaft. If you've
properly installed the bearings and rings there's not too much you can do to
mess them up, but the cam is a whole different story. Use a good assembly
lube on the cam lobes and lifters. If you didn't do this before attaching
the head TAKE IT OFF AND GET SOME LUBE IN THERE. I used redline assembly
lube as that's what Elgin recommended to me for break-in.

Break in. This is different from the first firing as there are different
concerns. First of all drain the oil you used for the first firing. You can
keep the filter if you want, but they're pretty cheap.
You want to get any leftover machining swarf out of the engine right away.
Refill with whatever grade conventional oil you plan to use and start
driving the car. Don't go racing the first week, but also don't baby it. The
idea is to vary the load and rpm's to give the rings a chance to match
themselves to the cylinder walls. If you have hills near your house that
will provide a great variety of loads for your engine, otherwise just drive
normally wiith occasional freeway runs. After about 500 miles change the oil
and filter again and you should be done.

As always YMMV. I'm sure many people have other methods, but this one has
worked for me and the folks I race with. One more thing, call me
superstitious but I always use a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas just
to give it a little extra lubrication.

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Herald