clutch shatter

To: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: clutch shatter
From: "Ken Gano" <triumphs@consolidated.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 00:06:38 -0500
I have been noticing an intermittent noise that sounds a lot like a slipping
clutch.  I only hear it when the car is cold (it is, although, very loud).
It seems to go away after just a few blocks or so and is definitely related
to applying or changing power, but it seems to be getting more frequent and
lasting longer (tonight it squalled for two miles or so, and every time I
down shifted.)

I know I have a rear main seal leak.  Could the clutch disk be getting
glazed over for the presence of the oil?  Is it something I need to worry
about?  Any suggestions, short of pulling the engine and rebuilding that
seal?

Thanks

Kg