Re: clutch shatter

To: "Ken Gano" <triumphs@consolidated.net>, "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch shatter
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 08:05:05 -0400
From: "Ken Gano" <triumphs@consolidated.net>
To: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 1:06 AM
Subject: clutch shatter

> I have been noticing an intermittent noise that sounds a lot like a
slipping
> clutch.  I only hear it when the car is cold (it is, although, very loud).
> It seems to go away after just a few blocks or so and is definitely
related
> to applying or changing power, but it seems to be getting more frequent
and
> lasting longer (tonight it squalled for two miles or so, and every time I
> down shifted.)
> I know I have a rear main seal leak.  Could the clutch disk be getting
> glazed over for the presence of the oil?  Is it something I need to worry
> about?  Any suggestions, short of pulling the engine and rebuilding that
> seal?

Ken-
    The presence of a rear main seal leak has more than likely "soiled" the
clutch friction disc.The flywheel and pressure plate may have hot spots from
the slipping clutch overheating. You did not mention how many miles on the
clutch but it sounds like you will need to service the clutch and should fix
the rear main as well. Good luck,
Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6
80 TR7 Spider