3 more TR4A originality questions

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 3 more TR4A originality questions
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 08:46:01 -0400
I have a very original 4A, Commission # in the 73000 range.

I have read the TRA judging guidelines and I find that my car varies from the
"correct" in a couple of ways.  I am virtually positive that all of these
parts are original to the car as delivered from the dealer.

1) the guide says that there should NOT be a vinyl boot/gaiter over the rubber
bellows on the shifter.  My car has one.  I have talked with 2 restoration
shops around here (they usually are very observant) and they say that they
have seen these boots on some _very_ original 4A's they have seen.  I am about
as positive as I can be that the boot is correct for my car, and presumably
others.

Can others here on the list confirm the presence of a vinyl shifter boot on
their original 4A?

2) The guide says that the footwells have carpeting with a rectangular heel
pad.  My car has a full length rubber mat and no carpet.  The mat has snaps at
the corners which match the snaps in the floor.  I remember driving this car
when it was less than 10 years old and these mats were there then.  I can not
believe that the owner (my father) would have replaced carpets with
cheaper-seeming aftermarket rubber mats.

One of the restoration shops has a very original 4A and it has identical mats.
I am also virtually positive that these are original.  Can others confirm the
originality of these mats?  What did your 4A have in the footwells originally,
and what is its commission number?

3)  The guide says that the 2-speed wiper motor which was stock for the 4A was
painted hammerite silver on the body of the motor.  Mine appeared to be
crinkle black (and IS a 2-speed).  The guide says that the 1-speed earlier
motors had black bodies.  I see no reason that the motor should have been
repainted in its lifetime, and the date on the  gearbox is appropriate for the
production date of the car (a couple of months before the date on the BMIHT
certificate).

Does anyone else have an original 2-speed motor which is painted black?
Silver?

All these questions!!

-Tony